Thinking of delivering the woodland based skills of Survival & Bushcraft?
Are you a teacher, scout leader, outdoor instructor or youth worker who wishes to deliver woodland skills, such as Bushcraft & Survival activities, but you aren't qualified?
Would you like to inspire others, by teaching them to craft with tools, light & safely manage camp-fires, build shelters and explore the natural world?
Or maybe you already have leadership qualifications, but you lack the confidence to deliver some woodland activities? Would you like some new ideas, or to improve the safety of your sessions by incorporating proven risk management strategies?
If your answer to any of the questions above is "yes", then the
Woodland Skills Leader Certificate (WSL)
is for you!
How did the WSL come about?
With a growing interest in the area of woodland skills, more people are wishing to engage in activities related to Bushcraft, Survival, Forest School, Scouting and traditional camping.
WILDWOOD TRAINING identified a clear need for schools, scout groups, youth groups and outdoor centres to access training for their staff, which not only develops personal competence, but which ensures the safe and effective leadership of such activities.
Why choose the WSL over other training courses?
Other awards and qualifications exist, but these are often difficult for most people to access, because they take a long time to complete (usually a year, minimum!), and they are expensive (£1000+). The Woodland Skills Leaders course offers exceptional value for money, and the assessment is included in the course price. The course including the assessment takes place over just four consecutive days.
Wildwood Training has developed the WSL course, which has been accredited by the IOL, to provide a means by which potential leaders can develop their capabilities, in an affordable and time efficient way.
The WSL course is a perfect compliment to the IOL Bushcraft Competency Certificate (BCC).
The WSL training will develop an outdoor leaders confidence and repertoire in areas not covered by the BCC, such as group & site management strategies.
The Woodland Skills Leaders Certificate (WSL) has been created to ensure the safety of participants, whilst providing a foundation for the effective delivery of woodland activities to unskilled client groups.
On our WSL training course you will cover a range of activities including:
- The safe and effective group-use of tools with appropriate craft activities to engage people and ensure that they will leave your sessions with a sense of pride and accomplishment, taking something away they've made with their own two hands.
- Group management strategies for lighting fires & managing the camp fire to ensure that everybody gets involved safely!
- Building shelters from natural materials and using man made resources (such as tarps) including the ability to effectively use and teach the use of cordage/knots/lashings etc... without bringing learners to tears in frustration.
- Learn games, problem solving and team building activities which can be used with a broad range of clients to engage them, and make sure they have an enjoyable and memorable experience out in the woods.
Learners, or potential future leaders, are expected to achieve the following learning outcomes during the WSL training and assessment courses:
- To demonstrate both personal competence, and leading/instructional ability, in the woodland skills of; tool use, fire lighting, shelter building, flora and fauna identification and natural craft skills.
- To develop the ability to create appropriate; lesson plans, risk assessments and operational policies necessary to lead woodland skills sessions.
- Develop knowledge and ability of; instructional & group management strategies related to woodland skills, environmental considerations of woodland skills training and the leave-no-trace ethos, appropriate methods of teaching and integrating woodland skills into wider outdoor learning practices.
The WSL opens opportunities of further study within the field of outdoor education, for both leaders and their client groups. It promotes safe and responsible use of our natural environments and will help to raise the profile of outdoor learning.
The cost of this 4-day course is just £400.
WILDWOOD TRAINING is proud to be the sole Woodland Skills Leader Certificate provider in England.
Our courses are delivered in Cheshire, at a stunning outdoor location, from 9.30am until 4.30pm each day.
Camping is available for those who wish to stay over, and toilet & showering facilities are available on-site.